July 22, 2005

Discovering a Signature

For my regular blog readers you may be asking, "Where is David going?" I am now sharing why I think certain people are able to overcome a painful past, and others have such difficulty. What has influenced my thinking is such family of origin (or lack of) experiences of children who were horrifically abused compared to someone who was raised in a healthy family).


Antiques Roadshow is a fascinating program on PBS. The show goes on the road in search of valuable antiques. Most often they show a segment where an antique expert has made a profound discovery.

"How long has this been in your family?" the expert asks.

"My grandfather bought this from someone in Pennsylvania in the 1940's who was moving. I think he paid $25.00 for it."

"Well, I think you are going to be surprised. I found the signature of the craftsman who made this. How much do you think this is worth?"

"Ooooh, I really have no idea."

"I think your going to be surprised. This was made by a Quaker furniture maker, who because of an accident, was only able to use his teeth. It took him five years to make each cabinet. It is my opinion that at auction you can probably get some where between $250,000 - $300,000 for this."

"That's nice. We will probably keep it. It was very special to my grandmother."

Yea, right!

It is amazing how valuable something becomes when a signature is discovered.

Your life is the same. The creator of the universe has left his signature on your heart. You are his creation. The Apostle known as Paul, inspired by God, described it beautifully, "For we are God's masterpiece. He has created us anew in Christ Jesus, so that we can do the good things he planned for us long ago." (Eph 2:10 NLT)

Our creator's signature is on our hearts. This signature is more than an identification, it is an imprint or an impression. This impression is like a magnet, and has left a magnetic field. From the time a person is born, what makes contact with this impression magnet, is what determines the course of a life.

What are some of these contacts? More to come....

1 comment:

QueenBee said...

That's beautiful, David. God's signature makes me valuable. I hate to take this to such a level, but the humorist in me can't resisit. It's kinda like a Cabbage Patch Doll - all the real ones have a special signature on their bum! We are "real" and valuable.

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
Katy, Texas, United States
Being a husband and a father is the greatest blessing in my life. I am also a Special Educator to students with an autism spectrum disorder.