December 15, 2009

A Friend Dies

Larry Beckham was my sales manager when I sold books door to door for the Southwestern Company during my college days at Harding University from 1975 to 1979. Sadly, he passed away on Friday after battling pancreatic cancer for the past year. Larry was a mentor, teacher, friend, and a father figure. He was one of the most charismatic persons I have known.

Larry was known for his keen listening skills. His dark brown eyes would penetrate your soul. He always seemed to have just the right word to encourage you to knock that next door or take that next test or whatever the challenge.

A few years ago I met with Larry after not seeing him for more than 20 years. He had the same spark as he did when I first met him. After our meeting, he read some of my writings on my blog and was complementary as well as encouraging me to write a book.

Larry is probably the one person in my life that I always wanted to go back to and share some sort of super success, as if I needed to be affirmed by him or in some way let him know that I was worthy. When I met his wife at the viewing, she told me how proud Larry was of me for teaching special education and students with autistic spectrum disorders. It was nice to hear. I am sad for Larry's family. He was the kind of father and grandfather that you wanted to hang out with. He will be greatly missed!

No comments:

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
Katy, Texas, United States
Being a husband and a father is the greatest blessing in my life. I am also a Special Educator to students with an autism spectrum disorder.