November 28, 2006

Michael Richards Should Meet with Bill Cosby




Why did Kramer meet with Jesse Jackson? It doesn't make since to me that he would meet with a black clergy/politician other than the publicity generated. He should meet with Bill Cosby. Cosby's first career was as a comedian. Richards is a comedian. Cosby (unlike Richard Pryor), made a career without denigrating his own race or that of others. He has also been involved in education (Dr. William Cosby), especially character education.

Richards will probably end up paying some type of penance for his actions. I believe his funds would be much better served going to Reading Rainbow rather than the Rainbow Coalition.

Growing up, Bill Cosby was the most influential comedian in my life. I could relate to so many of Cosby's sketches -- especially "the belt." I can remember not breathing when I heard Noah for the first time.

Fatherhood was one of my favorite fathering books. When Matthew, my oldest was small, we would watch Fat Albert on Saturday mornings -- hey, hey hey! Probably one of the saddest moments for Cosby was when his son was shot and killed. This was very heartbreaking news for anyone who knew about the relationship Cosby had with his kids.

Cosby has also had his share of unpleasant personal setbacks. This would probably give him a greater insight into Richard's future. Whatever the case, I think Richards will probably come out of this okay. I know there is a movement for black comedians and musicians to not use the "N" word. That may be more difficult to pull off than Richard's rehabilitation.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

good post!
Terry

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
Katy, Texas, United States
Being a husband and a father is the greatest blessing in my life. I am also a Special Educator to students with an autism spectrum disorder.