November 25, 2006

Authenticity

One of the interesting "movements" among many church people is the desire to be authentic. It is nothing new, although it may be new to a particular person or group. I can remember how big a deal it was to "be real" when I was a part of a church youth group. There was even a youth Bible study book on James about being real. The Jesus movement was about being real. The emergent church movement is about being real. Everything Jesus said was in the context of being real.

A question continues to haunt every generation since the beginning of time, "What does it mean to be authentic, to be real?" Maybe we should quit trying to be real. Inauthenticity has been the place to be for generations. If we think someone is authentic, just wait for a few years and they will do something to prove that they are not.

Maybe being authentic is a journey and not something that we will ever attain. I am not going to tell you every single thought I ever had; and is that what authenticity is any way? Get over it! Be yourself and quit trying to be something your not. What do you think?

No comments:

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
Katy, Texas, United States
Being a husband and a father is the greatest blessing in my life. I am also a Special Educator to students with an autism spectrum disorder.