October 1, 2006

Next Step -- Long Term Substitute

Passing the first test by substituting for a week, I am now considered a Long Term Substitute. I am not subbing for a person, which is what a sub usually does. I am subbing for a vacancy -- which means I must be the teacher for the Special Education Resource/Co-teaching role. Three times each day I go into the classroom to "co-teach," and three times I go to the resource room to teach. My students range from second to fifth grade, with mild to moderate retardation.

Teaching, so far, has been a blast. It is such a blessing to be involved in young lives, doing whatever I can to help them learn. Every child has unique personalities and gifts. Short term memory loss is common to most of them. What can I do to help someone that has very little RAM operate their program?

This week should be a very good week. I do not need to worry about whether or not I have a job. This takes a certain amount of pressure off. Focusing on the needs of the students is my highest priority. What has not been tried that can open up the door to learning? This is what I think about as I plan.

BTW -- a Long Term Sub makes the same amount as a first year teacher, so after 25 days, my salary will double! Thank you Jesus!

1 comment:

Donna G said...

Wow! Way to follow your dream and then the blessings just keep coming! I am happy for you!

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
Katy, Texas, United States
Being a husband and a father is the greatest blessing in my life. I am also a Special Educator to students with an autism spectrum disorder.