July 13, 2006

The Test from Hell

Last night I took the EC-12 Special Education Content test which will allow me to start teaching as an intern teacher for the State of Texas. This exciting event was held at the Region 4 offices. It was the worst environment for a test I have ever experienced. The dude next to me had a severe cold. He coughed and sneezed and groaned for two hours. It was hot and loud. The janitors cleaned the building and the dumpster for the trash was next to the office. It sounded like a remodeling job going on for about two hours.

The test was excruiatingly difficult. It was multiple choice with at least two answers which were correct. However, one answer was the best of all choices. It was not difficult to narrow down the top two answers, however choosing the best was challenging.

It took me almost four of the five designated hours to finish the test. I started going back through all of my answers, but after going over a few of the 135, I realized that I had given it everything I had to give. So I clicked the done button and it gave me an unofficial score. At first I thought I had failed it. Texas Teachers, the alternative certification program said you had to make a 74 to pass. I figured out my percentage and it turned out I was .23 from 74. When I got home, I tried for three hours on the internet to figure out how the test was graded. It turns out it is a scaled test and the percentage is irrelevant. The number of correct answers was what I could go by to figure out whether or not I passed. I called my sister, Terry, who is a recruiter for the Ft. Worth school district. She called a friend who is the director of an ACP. Terry gave her my raw score of 88, and without hesitation she said, "He passed!" Terry called me back and gave me the good news.

Now I can pursue a teaching job. This week I have been observing/working with Phyllis as she teaches summer school. Seven children who fall under Autistic Spectrum disorders. Also, every special education student in the district has summer school in this location. It has been quite extraordinary to witness so many children with various handicapping conditions. I will probably write more about some of my observations later. She teaches four half days next week and it is over, so I will be able to observe twenty more hours. It should be fun!

5 comments:

jettybetty said...

Congrats--so glad you passed!

paul said...

Congratulations! That is a huge achievement! Get your resume flying out there. I just got an offer this week and I have a new job. It can be done!

Nancy French said...

Yay! That sounds awful. Isn't it terrible to be near someone with a raging cold? (And even worse if you are that person.)

Anyway SO glad this chapter of life is beginning officially. You'll be awesome at this.

N

Matt Barnett said...

great Job dad. I think thats how it works for our family, when you feel you have bombed something we end up making a good grade. love you

Anonymous said...

Good job! Anybody out there need a great Special Ed teacher!

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
Katy, Texas, United States
Being a husband and a father is the greatest blessing in my life. I am also a Special Educator to students with an autism spectrum disorder.