March 23, 2006

Sharing Dreams


Dreams are a collage of conscious thoughts, hidden emotions, and the unconscious trying to wake your conscious up to reality. -- David Michael

Dreams in the Bible are sometimes given to people (both believers and not, according to the Bible) as a way for God to communicate to them. -- Nancy French

Yesterday was an interesting experience to have a dream interpreted by blog friends. Thank you for all of your comments.

Last night, I dreamed that I was having my portrait painted. The artist gave me these two huge art books to hold, probably weighing twenty-five pounds each. She put my left foot on a rock about six inches wide and long, but was not flat. My foot kept slipping from the rock. The books became so heavy that I was having a difficult time not dropping them. Eventually the artist said she could not paint my portrait because I was moving too much. She told me to come back when I was more stable.

Take a shot at this dream if you would like. Nothing will offend me. Following are some quotes about dreams that I thought were interesting:

Dreaming is an act of pure imagination, attesting in all men a creative power, which if it were available in waking, would make every man a Dante or Shakespeare. ~H.F. Hedge

Dreams are answers to questions we haven't yet figured out how to ask. ~X-Files

All the things one has forgotten scream for help in dreams. ~Elias Canetti

Dreams are only thoughts you didn't have time to think about during the day. ~Author Unknown

A dream which is not interpreted is like a letter which is not read. ~The Talmud

Dreams are illustrations... from the book your soul is writing about you. ~Marsha Norman

A dream has power to poison sleep. ~Percy Bysshe Shelley, "Mutability"

Dreaming permits each and every one of us to be quietly and safely insane every night of our lives. ~William Dement

Dreams are today's answers to tomorrow's questions. ~Edgar Cayce

I am accustomed to sleep and in my dreams to imagine the same things that lunatics imagine when awake. ~Rene Descartes, "Meditations on First Philosophy"

7 comments:

Nancy French said...

You know, dreams in the Bible are sometimes given to people (both believers and not, according to the Bible) as a way for God to communicate to them.

Don't totally disregard them...

David Michael said...

Nancy, Amen!

believingthomas said...

totaly agree. The difference is those people realized and acted on their dreams. We (modern people) tend to dismiss them.

Hoots Musings said...

I think dreams are open for interpretation and I do think they have meaning. Many times my dreams have been a fear that I faced and my dreamed helped me subconsciously work through those fears.

David, do you often dream so much or has it just started?

David Michael said...

I dream pretty often. Most the time I do not remember them. The dreams have been more unusual the past two nights.

Nancy French said...

Okay, I'll try again. The artist is your mom, representing the enormous impact that parents have in their lives (absent or present). She wanted to mold you, to create you -- but she didn't give you a sold rock to stand on and burdened you on every side with very heavy issues. But then, when it became apparent that shaping you correctly was impossible, that she didn't have the ability to create a picture perfect son -- given her own problems -- she gave up. You weren't stable enough, but that was not your fault. Nor is it now.

And I think it might allude to the solid rock that is only Christ.

David Michael said...

Nancy,

Very interesting interpretation! I can't imagine the artist being my birth mother. I think it may have been my cousin Jessica -- the artist. This dream is probably too simple. Right now I feel burdened and unstable. I don't even want my picture taken, much less a potrait.

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
Katy, Texas, United States
Being a husband and a father is the greatest blessing in my life. I am also a Special Educator to students with an autism spectrum disorder.