December 8, 2005

John's Death

Today is the 25th anniversary of the death of John Lennon. For me, this is one of those "where were you when" experiences. I was visiting in the home of my friends John and Sherril. There were several other friends there including my sister, Terry. The television was on, but I don't think anyone was really paying attention until a news bulletin came on and announced that John Lennon had been shot and was presumed dead.

John Lennon's death truly marked the end of an era. The Beatles, regardless of whether or not they would have, could not get back together. "Come Together" was no longer an option. Lennon's death was also a painful irony. Much of his life was singing about love and peace, yet it was ended by a mentally deranged murderer. "Give Peace a Chance" and was apparently lost in the tormented mind of Mark Chapman.

John Lennon's death was also a personal irony. A few years later, my friend John died of a heart attack. He was 40 years old, the same age of Lennon at the time of his death. John was an older friend who had been a mentor in our church youth group. His funeral was one of the saddest I had ever been to. I can remember being barely able to control myself. The pain of his death was almost unbearable. At the time I couldn't understand why I was having such a deep reaction. Years later I came to understand that it was not only John's death I was grieving, it was also a delayed grief related to the death of my birth father. This reaction is not unusual when someone you love dies when you are too young to really understand or process the tragic event.

One of my favorite songs was written when his son Sean was born.

Beautiful Boy (Darling Boy)

Close your eyes
Have no fear
The monster's gone
He's on the run and your daddy's here

Beautiful, beautiful, beautiful
Beautiful boy
Beautiful, beautiful, beautiful
Beautiful boy

Before you go to sleep
Say a little prayer
Every day in every way
It's getting better and better

Beautiful, beautiful, beautiful
Beautiful boy
Beautiful, beautiful, beautiful
Beautiful boy

Out on the ocean sailing away
I can hardly wait
To see you come of age
But I guess we'll both just have to be patient
'Cause it's a long way to go
A hard row to hoe
Yes it's a long way to go
But in the meantime

Before you cross the street
Take my hand
Life is what happens to you
While you're busy making other plans

Beautiful, beautiful, beautiful
Beautiful boy
Beautiful, beautiful, beautiful
Beautiful boy

Before you go to sleep
Say a little prayer
Every day in every way
It's getting better and better

Beautiful, beautiful, beautiful
Beautiful boy
Darling, darling, darling
Darling Sean

1 comment:

David Michael said...

Dee,

Thank you for sharing the story of your nephew. I am so glad that because of your brother you were able to be there for your sister and her husband.

You should think about writing a book about grief. This is beautiful writing:

"We did and I'll never, ever forget it. It was a very cold, but sunny day, and the grave was on the far back side of the cemetery there on the open plains, with one lone, leafless tree standing vigil by the dirt road nearby.

The three of us sat together next to the smallest casket I've ever seen as some of Laura's music professors, both men and women, took part in the poignant service, singing acapella hymns and songs over this blessed little baby"

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
Katy, Texas, United States
Being a husband and a father is the greatest blessing in my life. I am also a Special Educator to students with an autism spectrum disorder.