August 4, 2005

Career Confusion

I preached my first sermon when I was twelve years old. The "young men's training class" was in charge of the Wednesday night service, after our thirteen weeks of training was completed. It was very exciting to get up in front of the Wednesday night group of about two hundred and fifty people, and give my talk.

The best preacher I had ever heard up to that point in my life was William S. Banowsky. His father was an elder at the church we attended, so he would visit quite often and preach. We had a couple of his books, one which was a book of sermons. I remember reading one of his messages on the "New Morality" and decided that would be my topic. I don't recall much of what I said, but I do remember saying something like, "And there are some of you out there who have seen "Who's Afraid of Virginia Wolf!" as I pounded on the pulpit, standing on a Coke box.

My parents were probably embarrassed by my preaching. They didn't say anything to me about it. A year or so earlier when I was baptized, I overheard a friend's mom congratulate my mom on the fact that I was baptized. She told them that I didn't know what I was doing. From that moment on I questioned my conversion until I was a freshmen in college.

My fantasies as a teenager were to preach in front of large audiences. I had the opportunity to preach several more Wednesday nights through out my teenage years, and each time I was more convinced that I wanted to preach.

Growing up I never once talked with my parents about what I wanted to do with my life. I was always trying to figure out what they wanted me to do. It is strange, but I wanted there approval, but I never knew what they wanted for my life. I think they just wanted me to graduate. Also, my younger brother and sister had so many problems, and I also had four old sisters that were going through all kinds of stuff.

From the time my children were small, I talked with them about their future. Taking in account their aptitudes, personality, and desires. I have given them a vision of what they can become.

One of my favorite scenes in the life of Jesus is at his baptism. A voice from heaven declares, "This is my Son, whom I love, listen to Him!" What an affirmation! Jesus then began his career.

3 comments:

Nancy French said...

Ugh. What a terrible thing to say. "He doesn't know what he's doing."

Once I "went forward" at a CoC because I had said, "damn" at a football game after I'd gotten baptized and I felt shame. I didn't know you could just ask forgiveness. (Especially for such a grievous offense.) So I went to the front row of the church when they sang "Just As I Am" and said I needed forgiveness.

The whole congregation was abuzz about what I could have possible done to merit "going forward."

When I got home, my family mocked me relentlessly about the whole thing. I think I'd embarassed them.

From that point forward, I knew that the answer to sin was to HIDE IT.

This didn't serve me too well in my future...

believingthomas said...

David,
I look forward to hearing the rest and will refrain until then from saying what I want to say.

I am sorry that your mother said that. I hope that you have allowed Jesus to take the sting out of that memory and the damage it has caused.

The best preacher I heard growing up was Ruble Shelly. We share the same home town. So the bar was pretty high.

Hoots Musings said...

David,
God looks down on you every day and says. "This is my beloved son in whom I am well pleased."

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
Katy, Texas, United States
Being a husband and a father is the greatest blessing in my life. I am also a Special Educator to students with an autism spectrum disorder.