June 13, 2005

On Again Off Again On Again

28 October 1952
Wednesday Evening

Dearest Mom,

I guess it must be pretty hard to understand the recent change of events that have caused so much excitement all around.

I'll try to explain it as best I can. I have been going with Beverly for quite some time. She is a sweet kid and I think a lot of her but I had let her understand a long time ago that it wouldn't do any good to think seriously about me. Well as time went on I felt more and more sorry for her and the way things were between her and her mother made me feel a great deal of pity for her.

(Two pages missing, which apparently details why he broke up with Beverly.)

You can't realize how much I need you There is no one who could console me but you. I sure you understand though.

Pop sure sounded good last night. I so hope he will really be good from now on. He could get an awful lot out of life if he will just let himself.

Please write soon and often, Mom. Your letters mean so much to me. I hope you understand the situation I was in and just what reason I had for doing what I did. Give my love to Pop and the kids and tell them I'll write soon.

All my love,

Ronald


1 November 1952
Saturday Morning

Dearest Mom,

In a couple of minutes you are going to be saying, "that crazy, crazy son of mine." Yes, things are patched up and we are going to proceed as planned. I hope this is not too much shock to you. I guess you are expecting most anything now though.

In the four days that followed the bust up, I never could really make myself believe that I wanted it that way. I tried to make myself believe that I wanted it that way. I tried to think of all the advantages of not getting married etc., but they couldn't out weigh the fact that I really wanted Beverly back. Then after all was figured out, I was feeling sorry for myself, not her. I guess it had to take something like this to really make me realize how much I care for her. I guess you must be thinking I am a fly brained idiot but don't worry, I won't change my mind again. I really feel sure now like I never have before.

Believe me Mom, nothing you've said had anything to do with it. You've been nothing but wonderful.

(info about wedding)

I know you are going to like Beverly, Mom. She is really a good girl all the way through. She was mighty broken up about the whole thing but everything is straightened out now and everybody is happy including me. I hope you will be too.

Well I guess I'll sign off for now. I hope you aren't thinking too harshly of me. I love you all so dearly that to hurt you means an equal hurt to me and I would never be happy out of your good graces.

All my love,

Ronald

4 comments:

josh williams said...

We were born before the wind
Also younger than the sun
Ere the bonnie boat was won as we sailed into the mystic
Hark, now hear the sailors cry
Smell the sea and feel the sky
Let your soul and spirit fly into the mystic

And when that fog horn blows I will be coming home
And when that fog horn blows I want to hear it
I don’t have to fear it
I want to rock your gypsy soul
Just like way back in the days of old
Then magnificently we will float into the mystic
And when that fog horn blows you know I will be coming home
And when thst fog horn whistle blows I got to hear it
I don’t have to fear it
I want to rock your gypsy soul
Just like way back in the days of old
And together we will float into the mystic
Come on girl...

Nancy French said...

Agh! I wish those pages weren't missing!! This is so tantalizingly sad.

David Michael said...

I have copies of the letters, my sister has the originals. Maybe she has the missing pages.

I have read these letters many times since I received them, however, when I write about them it gives a me greater insight into my birth parent's lives.

susanwalkergirl said...

David what a treasure these letters are. Snapshots in time of your Dad...insights into his thoughts and soul. You are very blessed indeed.

Thanks for sharing...Susan

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
Katy, Texas, United States
Being a husband and a father is the greatest blessing in my life. I am also a Special Educator to students with an autism spectrum disorder.