November 23, 2009

Take Suicide off the Table

I received word late last night that a friend's son took his life last week. I am not sure anything could be as painful. The following is a poem I wrote several years ago after I found out someone close to me had committed suicide.


Take Suicide Off the Table
by
David Michael

When life is dark and dreary,
and pain is deep within your soul;
thoughts of death and destruction emerge
and depression takes its toll.

Solutions may be hard to find,
and optimism seems too cavalier;
find a space between your thoughts
before spiraling down in fear.

Take suicide off the table;
it's not an option for your pain.
Open your mind to possibilities
there is so much to gain.

Suicide is not painless,
those who are left behind will say,
Suicide is severely painful,
and it never goes away;
it never goes away.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

My cousin committed suicide twelve years ago he was like a brother to me and you are so right the pain never goes away. The pain for those left behind has to be as bad as the pain for the victim. I love your poem so true.

David Michael said...

Marilyn,

I am so sorry to hear about your cousin. Thank you for you comment. I hope life has you doing well!

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
Katy, Texas, United States
Being a husband and a father is the greatest blessing in my life. I am also a Special Educator to students with an autism spectrum disorder.