November 5, 2006

Fall in SE Texas

We had a tree in our neighborhood experience fall this week. One day the leaves were light brown, the next day they were all over the street. Most of our trees are Live Oaks, which are perpetually green. They loose their leaves in the spring, right before the new leaves come. In the fall, the trees drop acorns, a ton of them.

Although we do not have much of a fall or winter in Southeast Texas, we do have some great high school football. Katy HS is 9-0 with one regular season game left. After next week, the playoff begins. Katy has made the playoffs as long every year since we have been living here, which is thirteen. This is our fourteenth football season.

Watching really good high school football is something to behold. The teams that go deep in the playoffs every year tend to be the same teams. That is because they have programs which have tradition along with some great coaches. The 5A coaches in Texas now make between 80 and $110,000.00. Of course that comes out to $1.75 an hour.

The Thanksgiving holiday is coming up in two weeks. This will be my first vacation since I started teaching. Not bad for having worked eight weeks and then get a vacation. I like this job. Of course as a teacher I must say that we really need the break!

1 comment:

Donna G said...

I had acorns dive bomb my car this week! It is a scary thing.

Our local football team started out with a bang...but have fizzled in the last few weeks to remind me of my beloved Crimson Tide....

But we are loyal and true! Says so in the Alma Mater!

Fall here is beautiful this year!

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
Katy, Texas, United States
Being a husband and a father is the greatest blessing in my life. I am also a Special Educator to students with an autism spectrum disorder.