August 31, 2006

Absence of Fatherhood -- CATASTROPHIC

A significant quote from yesterday's post:


A young woman, a sophomore at Yale, wanted me to be a father figure for her because she had never had that kind of affirmation. She knew she could not flower as a woman until she had that. The absence of fatherhood in the black community has had catastrophic consequences. So for her and for these young people, there is a yearning for parents, for fathers, who will listen, laugh, correct, and enjoy the dialogue. Eugene Rivers


Where are the fathers?
Where is her father?
Where is his father?
Where is my father?

The fathers are gone.
Her father is gone.
His father is gone.
My father is gone.

Children are crying for their fathers!
He is crying for his father!
She is crying for her father!
I am crying for my father.

Children have forgotten their father.
He has forgotten his father.
She has forgotten her father.
I have forgotten my father.

But, the pain lives on and on and on and on.
The pain saturates his soul.
The pain saturates her soul.
The pain saturates my soul.

No comments:

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
Katy, Texas, United States
Being a husband and a father is the greatest blessing in my life. I am also a Special Educator to students with an autism spectrum disorder.