July 24, 2006

Eye of the Tiger



Tiger Woods is, without question, one of the greatest golfers of all time. Yesterday morning (CDT), Tiger won his eleventh major tournament, the British Open. Every professional golfers goal and dream is to win at least one major in their career. It is like winning the Super Bowl. This major was less about winning for the sake of racking another one up, it was a win for his father. It was the first one since the death of his father, Earl Woods.

Tiger's life is a testimony to Father Power. Earl Woods poured his life into his son. However, this was not the typical father who pushes his son to fulfill his own dreams. When Tiger started playing golf as a toddler, he did not want to stop. It was not Earl pushing Tiger, it was Tiger not wanting to do anything else but play golf. Earl began using golf as a reward for Tiger's good behavior. Earl also rewarded Tiger with pouring everything he knew about golf and winning and life into his son's mind and heart.

After Tiger won the tenement, he hugged his caddy, Steve Williams, and began sobbing. He was oblivious to the spectators and millions of television viewers, and did not want to let go of Steve. Then Tiger proceeded to hug his wife, coach, and trainer -- sobbing each step of the way. It was obvious that he was holding in weeks of emotions.

Tiger would not be Tiger, if it were not for Earl. Earl would never have been one of the most famous sport's fathers of all time, if it were not for Tiger. A son does not need to be in professional sports in order to validate Father Power. "I miss my dad," is validation enough!

2 comments:

paul said...

Great post! I miss my dad. He died 37 years ago and I still miss him.

I am trying to be a good dad for my daughter and my two sons. I like the idea of Father Power.

Nancy French said...

Great post. Awful and wonderful at the same time. Am listening to Johnny Cash's last CD and am getting teary.

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
Katy, Texas, United States
Being a husband and a father is the greatest blessing in my life. I am also a Special Educator to students with an autism spectrum disorder.