June 7, 2006

The Dali Code


While lecturing at Rice University in Houston, Abilene Christian University theology professor, Benjamin Scott, receives an urgent call on his cell phone from a former student:

"The Cinco Lakes Church building has been vandalized with graffiti. Bob Smith, one of the Elders has been duct taped to the pulpit."

Scott arrives on the scene to find a car from the Katy Police in the parking lot and graffiti on each side of the double door entrance. As he walks in he greets his former student, Derick Barton, the preaching minister for Cinco Lakes. Scott can see that elder Bob Smith is visibly shaken. Barton finds a note taped to the glass of the baptistery. He reads the note allowed,

Surrealism is destructive, but it destroys only what it considers to be shackles limiting our vision.

"The quote is from Salvador Dali," comments Professor Scott. "My minor in Art History comes in handy from time to time."

Arriving on the scene is Juan Valdez, owner of the Valdez Cleaning Company which is contracted by the church. After listening to what has happened, Valdez asks the group,

"Does anyone know what the graffiti means?" No one responds. "Because I also contract out to the FBI as a graphologist, I am very familiar with this script. This is the work of a Colombian gang, el Arte Vaqueros (the Art Cowboys)."

Elder Smith said, "They were wearing some very stylish outfits."

"If I may," said Valdez, "allow me to take pictures with my digital camera of the graffiti.
With the quote from Dali, I believe I can give you some valuable information. "

Professor Scott asks, "Juan, do you mind if I give you some assistance." Valdez gladly agrees.

In a slow, easy pace through the town of Katy, the team of Valdez and Scott arrive at Starbucks to decipher the meaning of the strange messages.

.... more to come

1 comment:

Donna G said...

I'm hooked...

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
Katy, Texas, United States
Being a husband and a father is the greatest blessing in my life. I am also a Special Educator to students with an autism spectrum disorder.