May 6, 2006

To Whom Shall We Go?

"Lord, to whom shall we go? You have the words of eternal life. We believe that you are the Holy One of God." (Jn 6:68-69).

Where Could I Go But to the Lord(click for soundtrack to blog)

This rhetorical questioned was asked by Peter to Jesus. Prior to Peter's question, the crowd was amazed at Jesus the breadmaker. However, within a matter of moments, they could not digest the hard words of Jesus the "cult" leader, so they left. The twelve disciples of Jesus were the only ones that remained. Jesus asked them, "Are you also going to leave?" Then Peter replied for the group, "Lord to whom shall we go? You have the words of eternal life."

I could really use some "bread" right now, Jesus. I am praying for bread. I am on my knees begging for bread. Why are you saying the same thing to me that you said over two thousand years ago? I need bread!!!

Jesus said , "Amen, amen, I say to you, unless you eat the flesh of the Son of Man and drink his blood, you do not have life within you. Whoever eats my flesh and drinks my blood has eternal life, and I will raise him on the last day. For my flesh is true food, and my blood is true drink. Whoever eats my flesh and drinks my blood remains in me and I in him. Just as the living Father sent me and I have life because of the Father, so also the one who feeds on me will have life because of me. This is the bread that came down from heaven. Unlike your ancestors who ate and still died, whoever eats this bread will live forever."

What does this mean? Jesus answers this question as he continues to dialogue with his disciples.

Do not work for food that perishes but for the food that endures for eternal life, which the Son of Man will give you. For on him the Father, God, has set his seal."
So they said to him, "What can we do to accomplish the works of God?"
Jesus answered and said to them, "This is the work of God, that you believe in the one he sent."

Jesus emphasized that he was indeed "the bread of life," over and over again. Do I really believe this? Do I really believe in Jesus? Have you ever asked yourself this question?

It was definitely not the cool thing to do to believe in Jesus when he spoke these words. Jesus was a "dead man walking." Hanging out with him could get you killed. He was a gang leader without weapons. Drive by shooters often miss their target, however, most likely there will be collateral damage.

What about today? Am I taking Jesus at his word? I know I need to. What about you?

2 comments:

Donna G said...

I know I need to....but many times I know that I fail.

David Michael said...

Dee,

Thank you for your very encouraging comments. Your perspective is highly valued. It gives me hope!

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
Katy, Texas, United States
Being a husband and a father is the greatest blessing in my life. I am also a Special Educator to students with an autism spectrum disorder.