March 21, 2006

A Craving from God













(The following event occurred in 1994).

It was time for a break. At least that is what the craving for a shaved ice from Bahama Mamma's told me. The Sunday message was coming together fine, so I thought I should reward myself.

From my office, Bahama Mammas was about a quarter of a mile. It was a beautiful day. I thought a brisk walk and a Banana Banshee would get my creative energies flowing. As I walked out of my office, I immediately heard the sound of sirens. Interstate 10, one of the busiest highways in America, was completely stopped. A big rig was on the shoulder, so I thought it must be quite a wreck. As I walked closer to the site, I quickly realized this was no ordinary wreck. A lifeless body was on the pavement, in the right lane. Other than the semi-truck, there were no other vehicles involved. Walking within a few feet of the scene, I saw a distraught man, leaning up against a police car.

"What happened?" I asked the trucker from Iowa.
"This man jumped in front of my truck. I think he committed suicide."

For the next few hours, I listened as Robert talked about the tragic event. He had never been in a wreck, much less hitting a man. It was obvious that there was absolutely nothing he could have done to avoid the man. Sensing God's leading in our conversation, I spoke words of comfort. As the Texas State Highway Patrol was finishing up their investigation, I prayed with Robert for strength and safety to finish his trip and make it home safely. As he went on his way, I prayed again for Robert's safety, and also for the family of the man who chose to take his life.

Within a few hours, I learned that the fatality was a very popular and respected high school teacher, who had just been accused of having an inappropriate relationship with one of his female students. I am not sure why he killed himself, but I guess his shame was so great that he felt like he would not be forgiven.

And I thought it was just a craving for some shaved ice.

1 comment:

David Michael said...

Melanie,

This happenned several years ago when I was in full time ministry. This man was a leader in his church and well respected in the community. I think the shame to him was so great, he felt like he could not be forgiven.

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
Katy, Texas, United States
Being a husband and a father is the greatest blessing in my life. I am also a Special Educator to students with an autism spectrum disorder.