November 4, 2005

Becoming Solution Focused

One of the books I am working through is Do One Thing Different by Bill Ohanlon. He is one of the proponents of solution focused therapy or solution oriented living. Ohanlon's background is in psychology and family therapy and studied under the imminent psychiatrist Milton Erickson. The following is included in his chapter titled, Analysis Paralysis.

The problem with psychology and psychiatry for solving problems is that:

They give you explanations instead of solutions.

They orient you toward what can't be changed: the past or personality characteristics.

They encourage you to view yourself as a victim of your childhood, your biology or genetics, your family, or societal oppression.

They sometimes create new problems you didn't know you had before you came into contact with a program of a book.
What do you think? Join me as I work through some of his ideas on the next few blogs.

No comments:

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
Katy, Texas, United States
Being a husband and a father is the greatest blessing in my life. I am also a Special Educator to students with an autism spectrum disorder.