October 14, 2005

Passionate about Life

So many people walk around with a meaningless life. They seem half-asleep, even when they're busy doing things they think are important. This is because they're chasing the wrong things. The way you get meaning into your life is to devote yourself to loving others, devote yourself to your community around you, and devote yourself to creating something that gives you purpose and meaning. -- Morrie Shwartz

I have come that they may have life, and have it to the full. -- Jesus Christ

Tuesdays with Morrie by Mitch Albom is one of my favorite books. It is the story of Morrie Shwartz, a professor at Brandies University, and one of his former students, Mitch Albom, reconnecting after many years. Morrie's terminal disease, ALS, reunited the two. Mitch, the now famous sports writer and Professor Shwartz, one of the most passionate people you would ever meet, get together each Tuesday to discuss life and whatever Morrie wants to expound on.

One of the reasons I connected with the book on an emotional level is because I would like to have a relationship like Mitch had with a Morrie. Someone who is awitty and wise sage, full of love and life. Morrie seemed to have a "positive reality" about life and he expressed it in a loving way. He was able to "live like he was dying."

Jesus lived a passionate life. His life was about giving others the opportunity to live life to the full, or in one sense -- "to the max." Are you living a life full of love? What is keeping you from "living life to the max?" Are there some "passion busters" keeping you from experiencing the good life?

2 comments:

Gigi said...

Great post....I think passion is just being born in me and I am half afraid....cowardly to be honest.....Lived my whole life wanting to FIT IN and now I....
I will be back LOVE the title of your blog....thanks

Nancy French said...

I think passion is not what I lack, David. :)

Sense? Maybe.

NJ

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
Katy, Texas, United States
Being a husband and a father is the greatest blessing in my life. I am also a Special Educator to students with an autism spectrum disorder.