September 22, 2005

Hurry Up and Wait

Riding my usual bike route this morning was a little different. I had company. Thousands of people were sitting in their cars, waiting for I-10 to move. The road I ride is Hwy 90, west towards the country town of Brookshire, then back. It was bumper to bumper.

The news said it is taking 24 hours to get to Dallas. It is normally, at the most, a 5 hour ride.

Phyllis is going back and forth whether to leave. The storm may be shifting to the east, which is good for Katy. People are stopped all over our small town, trying to get gas or cool their overheated engines.

I haven't ridden in several days. My bike is a place of refuge. I usually start out my ride by singing, "Dear Lord and Father of mankind, forgive my foolish ways." The next song I sing is, "Just Give Me Jesus." When I sang that song this morning I was looking into the faces of anxious folks, not sure of what is ahead. That was my prayer for these weary travelers.

We are all weary travelers. We are not sure what the future holds. Some of us are not too sure about who holds the immediate future. May I should have sang, "He's got the whole world in His hands," this morning. "Someday, someday, someday."

I will update as we go. Thank you for your prayers.

1 comment:

David Michael said...

Thank you Dee. The storm looks like it is moving more towards Louisiana (sad to say). We are going to evaluate the situation again around 4:00 when the National Hurricane Center updates the track. All of the roads around Houston are at a virtual standstill. People are running out of gas everywhere.

Right now the Texas/Louisiana border may get it the worst. Be careful!

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
Katy, Texas, United States
Being a husband and a father is the greatest blessing in my life. I am also a Special Educator to students with an autism spectrum disorder.