July 15, 2005

Life After College

Life after college was lonely. Instead of going into the ministry, I continued in sales. After another summer selling books, I moved to Austin, TX and worked with a subsidiary of the company I sold books for as a school fundraiser. One of the highlights of this time was working as a weekend youth minister for a small country church. Austin would have been a great place to live if I was on the wild side, but it was a tough town for a single guy trying to live a pure life. During this year, depression seemed to really kick in, although, I didn't know what it was at the time.

Two couples were very supportive during this time. John and Sheryl in Austin, and Jim and Becky who lived in the town where I was working as the weekend youth minister. They helped me through some rough waters during this time. Things didn't work out in Austin with my job, so I decided to go sell books again. It was towards the end of the summer, so I went to West Virginia and met up with Gary and Candy, friends who had gone to ACU. I only sold a few weeks, but I did get a valuable recommendation. Candy told me that if I am ever in Dallas, call her ACU roommate, Phyllis Hollabaugh. From that moment on, the name Phyllis stuck in my mind.

I went back to Ft. Worth, rented a room from a friend I went to high school with, and went to work for "Roto Rooter" -- yes, the sewer cleaning company. I knew the man who owned the Ft. Worth franchise from church, he offered me a job and I took it. I had spent most of my life in "waste," (cleaning out cattle trailers, etc.) so I thought this was probably a good fit. I actually enjoyed the job. It was a good feeling to unclog drains.

During this time, I started going back to the church I grew up in at Ft. Worth. I went to a dinner at the church with my sister one evening, and it changed the course of my life.

2 comments:

Nancy French said...

Here comes the Phyllis part!

Vavavoom!

We want details.

Hoots Musings said...

Eagerly awaiting to hear how you met Phyllis and the love story that follows.

WOO HOO!

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
Katy, Texas, United States
Being a husband and a father is the greatest blessing in my life. I am also a Special Educator to students with an autism spectrum disorder.