June 22, 2005

Robert B. McLaren

Robert B. McLaren was the young pastor of a Presbyterian Church in Houston who officiated the funeral of my father. I can imagine the call from the funeral home:

"Pastor McLaren, this is South Park cemetery. We have a young mother that needs someone to officiate the funeral of her husband tomorrow afternoon. There are three young children and they do not have a church home. Are you available?" It may have been his turn, but for reasons unknown (for right now), he took the assignment. I wonder if it had an impact on the rest of his life?

Pastor McLaren was a part of a famous meeting in September 1960 when the Houston Ministerial Association met with Senator John F. Kennedy to discuss the possibilities of a Catholic becoming President. He asked several questions during the discussion after the speech.

http://www.jfklink.com/speeches/jfk/sept60/
jfk120960_houston03.html

He later became a distinguished professor at California State University - Fullerton.

McLAREN, ROBERT B. (1967)
Professor of Child Development
A.B., Park College; B.D., McCormick Theological Seminary; M.A., University of Houston; Ph.D., University of Southern California

He has also written several books:

1. World of Philosophy: An Introduction
by Robert Bruce McLaren

2. Christian Ethics: Foundations and Practice
by Robert Bruce McLaren

3. All to the good: A guide to Christian ethics
by Robert Bruce McLaren

4. Jesus - the Man and His ministry

I called and emailed Dr. McLaren, and I am still waiting for a response. I wanted to ask him what he remembered about the funeral and my mother.

This wasn't the only time Dr. McLaren ministered to our family. The first time he eulogized a life passed. The second time, he tried to save a life.

3 comments:

David Michael said...

Gayla,

Yes! I have read John's books. For the past few years I have done extensive research in the areas of fathering, foster care, and adoption.

Wow! A fellow adoptee! I hope the meeting with your family went well. Sometimes they don't.

There is a great website that is geared to adoptees, www.adoptionjewels.org Your may have heard of Sherrie Eldridge before.

Actualizing said...

Yay! That's what I love about blogging! I connects people!

Looking forward to your next post.

Hoots Musings said...

God Bless you brother, I am standing by...

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
Katy, Texas, United States
Being a husband and a father is the greatest blessing in my life. I am also a Special Educator to students with an autism spectrum disorder.